The Hocker started from a conversation on wood techniques and how to take away material from a solid block of wood by means of turning.
Its final shape is defined by three basic lathe operations.
Unless otherwise credited all texts, images, drawings, animations and videos are taken from the archives of Herzog & de Meuron and are © Herzog & de Meuron. Every reasonable attempt has been made to identify authors and owners of copyrights. We apologize for any errors or omissions that may have occurred. Please contact us should you have any corrections.
IMAGE CREDITS ( OBJECTS )
Images of objects not credited to Herzog & de Meuron have been kindly provided by the manufacturers.
Regent Beleuchtungskörper AG
Vitra Patent AG
IMAGE CODES ( PROJECTS )
The image codes are composed of project number plus an abbreviation for the image category, year and month, image number and, if applicable, the photographer’s initials. For example: 253_CO_0709_ 112_XY.
The abbreviations for the image categories are as follows:
DT Detail Drawing
SI Site Context
The abbreviations for the publication categories are as follows:
IMAGE CREDITS ( PROJECTS )
For all images not credited to Herzog & de Meuron, the full credit line is available by clicking on the respective image code. The below listed contributors have kindly provided material for use on the Herzog & de Meuron website.
PHOTOGRAPHS ( PROJECTS )
Johannes Arlt (JA)
Iwan Baan (IB)
Joss Bachhofer (JB)
Heinrich Baur Wallace
Iñigo Bujedo-Aguirre (IBA)
Donato di Bello (DB)
Adriano A. Biondo (AB)
Peter Blum Gallery
Balthasar Burkhard (BB)
Centre Canadien d'Architecture / Canadian Centre for Architecture
Flugaufnahme Comet, Zürich
Rolf Frei (RFR)
Eik Frenzel (EF)
Future Documentation / Erica Overmeer (EO)
F. Hausmann/Luftreportagen, Wien
Andreas Gursky (AG)
Oliver Heissner (OH)
Merlin Hendy (MH)
Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. (ROCHE)
Robert Hösl (RH)
Hufton + Crow (HC)
Elliott Kaufman Photography
Simon Kneubühl (SK)
Raimund Koch (RK)
Reiner Lautwein/arthur-photo (RL)
Michel Legendre (MIL)
Duccio Malagamba (DM)
Ignacio Martínez (IM)
The Museum of Modern Art (MoMa)
Monika Nikolic (MN)
The New York Historical Society
New York State Military Museum
Obayashi Corporation, Kudo-Photo CO., LTD.
Matthu Placek (MP)
Christian Richters (CR)
Monika Rittershaus (MR)
Ulrich Schwarz (US)
Margherita Spiluttini (MS)
Hisao Suzuki (HS)
Nic Tenwiggenhorn (NT)
Peter Tolkin (PT)
Ruedi Walti (RW)
PROJECT TEAM HdM Objects 1.0
Herzog & de Meuron, The kitchen
Partners: Jacques Herzog, Pierre de Meuron, Esther Zumsteg
Project Manager: Luis Gisler
Project Team: Nicolas Probst, Martin Marker, Donald Mak
Programming: Pom Pom Ltd.
Terms & Conditions
§ 1 – General
(1) The following terms and conditions shall govern the sale by Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd. (named “us”) and the buyer (named “you”). Any terms and conditions that you propose or object to are subject to our written consent. By placing an order with us, it is deemed that you have read, understood and agreed to our Terms and Conditions. If you are unhappy with any aspect of our terms and conditions, please contact us before placing an order.
(2) We reserve the right to add, delete or amend these Terms and Conditions without prior written notice at any time, at our sole discretion.
§ 2 – Contract
(1) Orders are only possible via the Herzog & de Meuron website. As soon as you have filled in the order form and confirmed your order with the "complete purchase" button, a contract between you and Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd. is established in accordance with the conditions below (Prices, Shipping etc.) without a separate fulfillment confirmation from us.
(2) The placed order and chosen conditions are representative for the delivery of our products. The prices and conditions shown at the time you placed the order and confirmed with “complete purchase;” apply.
(3) You acknowledge ordering the products for your private non-commercial use. Distributing the acquired products for a commercial purpose is prohibited. Please notice that we will claim our according trademark rights. If you wish to place an order of a higher volume or for commercial distribution, please contact us for an individual order (email@example.com). In case of non- information, high volume orders or high rates of orders in short term, we reserve the right to refuse or cancel your order.
(4) The order volume for limited- and special editions is limited to maximum 2 products per user. We reserve the right to refuse or cancel orders beyond this volume. You get a separate notice about the exercise of this right.
§ 3 – Depiction of Products
(1) Please note that while we have tried to accurately display the colors of products, the actual colors you see will depend on your monitor and may not be accurate. If you should have a problem, question or concern, please contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) Furthermore please note that our products are made of natural materials, especially wood. Some corresponding inequalities of material and color may occur.
§ 4 – Prices and Payment
(1) Prices are listed in Swiss francs.
(2) Accepted methods of payment are Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Paypal.
(3) The total cost of your items ordered plus shipping fees as displayed on the web will be billed to your credit card.
(4) If the shipping address is located in Switzerland, 8% sales tax will be added to your order.
(4) If the shipping address is located outside of Switzerland, you will be charged the country’s applicable import duty and sales tax by the courier service or the local administration upon delivery.
(5) Prices for our products and shipping charges are subject to change. We reserve the right to make adjustments due to changing market conditions, manufacturer price changes and other extenuating circumstances.
§ 5 – Delivery
We ship all packages within Switzerland via SwissPost Priority. International Packages are sent via Asendia, TNT Swiss Post or SwissPost GLS.
The following delivery times are valid without obligation for the regions listed below (working days Monday–Friday):
Switzerland: 1-3 days
Europe: 3-7 days
US & Canada: 3-7 days
Rest of the World: 4-10 days
Shipping Price : The shipping price depends on the order and is indicated in the shopping cart.
Herzog & de Meuron is not responsible for any international shipping delays caused by the customs clearance process.
We will be glad to answer any further questions you might have, from Monday to Friday at email@example.com.
§ 6 – Your rights of Return
(1) We accept returns within 14 days from shipping date. Please contact us with your order number ready at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact us within 2 days if you have received an item that has been damaged in shipping.
Shipping charges are not reimbursed.
(2) We will control all returned products. All goods must be returned in perfect condition without signs of usage and with original packaging. You have to pay the postal fees for this kind of return. We will dismiss the returned product if:
- The product shows signs of visible use
- The product is damaged as a result of return transport
We reimburse your payment (Duties, taxes and other expenses excluded). In case of return, you will be charged for all shipping charges.
(3) If the product is in any way faulty or does not conform to the order placed, we will gladly refund the purchase price paid, the return shipping cost; any customs, duties and goods taxes (upon proof of payment i.e. a receipt), plus the original shipping costs. Likewise, no good will be taken back if it shows signs of damage or interference, such as
- Natural wear and tear
- Events out of our control e.g. natural disasters
- Signs of improper use
- Interference by the customer or a third person -
Extreme use or extreme influence by the customer
(4) No cost will be covered should the product/s go missing during the return shipping. We advise you to send all items back with a transport firm that provides a track & trace service.
(5) Shipping address for all returning items is:
Herzog & De Meuron c/o Post Logistics AG
CH 4133 Pratteln, SWITZERLAND
If you supplied us with incorrect information about your creditworthiness we reserved the right to withdraw from the contract in whole or in part.
§ 8 – Reservation of proprietary rights
The goods shall remain our property until you have fully paid any and all debts as of the contracting date, including the current account balance if any.
§ 9 – Warranty
(1) In the case of a material defect in the product on our behalf, you have the right to choose a similar product in exchange, to withdraw from the contract or to request a price reduction within 12 months from the purchase date. All requests are to be confirmed by written correspondence with us.
(2) It is up to you to control the products either upon delivery and to notify us within the time period mentioned in § 9 (1). Failure to do so will result in a loss of your rights.
(3) Other claims for damages and indemnity are ruled by the provisions of Swiss law and we are only liable for gross negligence and intent. This includes our employees or other helping persons. Binding law terms (i.e. law of product liability) are not effected.
§ 10 – Secure Transactions
Our e-commerce system uses SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and TLS ( Transport Layer Security ) - the industry standard for encryption technology used to create a secure transaction environment for commerce on the Internet. If your browser and local network support the use of encrypted data transmissions, our Secure Checkout mode locks all information passed from you to us in an encrypted envelope. Your payment information (i.e.: your credit card number) is securely handled by our payment providers Stripe Inc. and PayPal Inc. and will not be stored on our servers at any time.
§ 11 – Copyrights
All rights of trademarks, designs, texts and all other products are under sole copyright of Herzog & de Meuron. This website is protected by copyright. Modifications, reproductions or any imitation or copy is forbidden.
§ 12 – Legal notice / Imprint
Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd.
Rheinschanze 6 4065 Basel Switzerland
T +41 61 385 57 57
VAT No.: CHE-116.347.390 MWST
§ 13 – Miscellaneous Terms
(1) For Customer in Switzerland: All terms and contracts under this agreement are governed by Swiss Law without regard to conflict of laws. UN purchasing law (CISG) is excluded. The designated court is Basel, Switzerland.
(2) For other Customer: All terms and contracts under this agreement are governed by Swiss Law without regard to conflict of laws. UN purchasing law (CISG) is excluded. The designated court is Basel, Switzerland, if it is allowed to choose a court of jurisdiction. This does not apply for compulsory law of the country in which the customer has its common residence.
(3) Should a provision of these general conditions of supply prove to be wholly or partly invalid, the parties to the contract shall jointly seek an arrangement having a legal and economic effect which will be as similar as possible to the invalid provision.
Basel, October 2015
Data Protection Statement for objects.herzogdemeuron.com
Herzog & de Meuron takes the protection of your personal data very seriously and handels it in line with the Swiss Data Protection Act (Bundesgesetz über den Datenschutz DSG) and the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR (Datenschutzgrundverordnung DSGVO) of the European Union.
The purpose of this Data Protection Statement is to inform you about the type of personal data that will be collected when you use the Herzog & de Meuron website (the "Website") during your visit and how we will process, use, and protect such data.
Contact with us
If you will get in contact with us by form on the Website or by e-mail, the data submitted will be stored during a maximum of six month for the purpose of processing your request and in case you should have further questions. This data will not be passed on to persons outside of the Herzog & de Meuron group without your consent.
Regarding the data, which you submit to us using the Jobs Application Form, we refer to the separate Amendment to the Data Protection Statement regarding the Jobs Application.
Cookies do not harm your computer or mobile device and do not contain any viruses.
Automated Data Collection and Processing by your Browser
As with every website, our server automatically collects the following information and temporarily saves it in server log files, which are transmitted by your browser unless you have deactivated such function:
- the IP address of the computer transmitting the request
- the client’s file request
- the http response code
- the volume of data transmitted
- the website from which you access our website (referrer URL)
- the date and time of the server request
- the type, version and language of your browser
- the operating system on the computer transmitting the request
Our server log files are not evaluated based on personal use. We cannot allocate this data to specific persons at any time. Also, we do not merge this data with data from other sources.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service offered by Google Inc. (hereinafter referred to as “Google”). Google Analytics uses small text files called cookies, which are saved on your computer to facilitate analysis of your website use. The information collected relates to your operating system, browser and IP address, the website you accessed previously (referrer URL), and the date and time of your visit to our website. The information generated by cookies regarding your use of our website typically is transmitted to and saved on a Google server in the United States. If and when IP anonymization is activated on this website, Google will reduce your IP address for transmission among member states of the European Union or to other member states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases will your full IP address be transmitted to a Google server in the United States and then reduced. At our request, Google will use this information to evaluate your use of our website, to compile reports on website activity, and to provide us with other services relating to website activity and Internet use. The IP address transmitted from your browser as part of Google Analytics will not be merged with any other data held by Google.
The use of Google Analytics is in compliance with the requirements upon which German data protection agencies and Google have agreed.
The third-party provider’s data protection statement is available at http://www.google.de/intl/en/policies/privacy.
The data processing is in accordance with Art. 6 paragraph 1 lit. a (consent) and/or f (legitimate interest) of the General Data Protection Regulation GDPR (Datenschutzgrundverordnung DSGVO) of the European Union.
Collection and Processing of Data Provided Voluntarily
You provide to us your personal data by e-mail or via our website on a voluntary basis. We use this data to process our contractual relationship with you and/or your inquiries or orders, to conduct market research or opinion polls.
Transmission to Third Parties
We will not transmit any personal data, which you provide to us to any third parties. Personal data will be transmitted only
- if you have given prior consent
- to sub-contractors who need to receive and use such data for the purpose of fulfilling specific orders if required by us to process your inquiries, orders and use of our services
- to service providers bound by instructions, if required to process your order data in accordance with the law
- to parties entitled to obtain such data, if required to comply with statutory obligations
Where we engage sub-contractors or service providers for carrying out specific processing activities on behalf of us, the same data protection obligations are imposed on them by way of a contract.
At any time, at no cost to you and without providing any reason you can request information regarding the data relating to you which is saved in our systems as well as information regarding the origin, recipients or categories of recipients to whom such data has been transmitted and why such data has been saved.
In addition, by law, you are entitled to have your personal data corrected, blocked or deleted. Also, you can revoke your consent to the use of your data at any time and without having to provide a reason. Should you have any reason to suspect that your data is processed in violation of the Data Protection Act or your legal rights under the Data Protection Act were violated in any other way, you may file a complaint with the Supervising Authority. In Switzerland, the Supervising Authority is the Federal Data Protection and Information Officer (FDPIC)
Representative according to Art. 27 paragraph 1 GDPR for companies of the Herzog ¬ de Meuron group, which are not established in the European Union
Herzog & de Meuron GmbH, Johannisstrasse 20, DE-10117 Berlin is designated as a representative according to Art. 27 paragraph 1 GDPR by the following companies of the Herzog & de Meuron group:
Herzog & de Meuron Basel Ltd.
Herzog & de Meuron International AG
Herzog & de Meuron Architekten AG
Herzog & de Meuron World Ltd.
Herzog & de Meuron Rheinschanze AG
The designation as a representative by the above mentioned companies is granted in case of a statutory obligation according to Art. 27 paragraph 1 GDPR for the respective company.
Contact for any request for information, inquiries, objections to the processing of your data etc.
Please address any requests for information, inquiries, objections to the processing of your data, and any questions you may have to the following address:
Herzog & de Meuron
Tel. +41 61 385 5757
Fax +41 61 385 5758
Basel, May 25, 2018